- Dip. Business Excellence.
Michael has worked for the NZ and US governments and in private enterprise, prior to setting up his own consultancy. PYXIS Consulting specialises in applying the Criteria for Performance Excellence to improve the performance of organisations. Work with the Criteria has involved the assessment of organisations from two person partnerships to multi-site companies, and a wide range of businesses including government departments/local bodies, manufacturers, high technology companies, tourist operators, exporters, retailers and service based organisations.
Michael has developed a range of business improvement tools based on the Criteria for Performance Excellence. Much of Michael’s work involves providing assistance in the development of organisational vision and strategy, the planning of research and development programmes, and the development of sustainable high growth business practices.
Recently Michael with COER launched a website resource called www.businessexcellencetools.com. Michael has worked with the Centre for Organisational Excellence Research over a number of years, notably facilitating TRADE best benchmarking projects.
Areas of expertise
- Strategic and Business planning.
- New product & technology planning.
- Business expansion and new technology.
- Technology planning and implementation.
- Organisation management systems, including ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Green Globe supplier of environmental management services.
- Criteria for Performance Excellence.
- Quality Award programmes.
- Strategic planning.
- New product and technology planning.
- Business development and expansion planning.
- Integrated organisational management systems including ISO 9001, ISO 14001, Criteria for Performance Excellence.
- Design and commission remote automatic weather station using meteorological satellites for data collection.
- Paper delivered to International Direct Broadcaster’s Conference, Washington DC, USA.
- Working group on NZ submission to World Administrative Radio Conference.
- Design of an aircraft-safe radiosonde at National Centre Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, USA.
- NZ representative for meteorological measurement and observations to World Meteorological Organisation.
- Managed a project to increase manufacturing capacity from 20 terminals a month to 125 a month in 3 months reducing assembly time by 50%.
- Developed a 24/7 international customer support centre.
- Leader of NZ Business Excellence Award evaluation team.
- Developed new strategy for manufacturing company, achieving 60% growth over the past three years.
- Mann, R.S. & Voss, M.E. (2000). An Innovative Process Improvement Approach that Integrates ISO 9000 with the Baldrige Framework. Benchmarking: An International Journal, Vol 7, No.2, p128-146; won the Tait Quality Prize for Best Practical Quality Paper in New Zealand for 2000.
Engineering, innovation, management capability, business growth, pereforamnce measurement, application of criteria for performance excellence to SMEs, new technology, sustainable activity, visual and performance arts, music, self sufficiency, road cycling.